Buckwheat Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Who else is obsessed with pancakes? Pancakes used to be my go to breakfast on the weekend. Until I realized I was basically eating stacks of sugar. So I decided to find an alternative that was just as satisfying but also healthy!
Let me introduce you to buckwheat pancakes! buckwheat is technically a seed but it looks like a grain. Buckwheat is an amazing alternative to white flours as it is low glycemic, rich in vitamins and minerals, and helps stabilize blood sugar levels.
You can make your own buckwheat flour or buy it already made. It's a darker flour with a slightly nutty taste. I love making buckwheat granola and buckwheat pancakes for a healthy hearty breakfast and it's super easy!
I love adding chocolate chips, blueberries, protein powder, cacao, vanilla, matcha, or nut butters to my pancake to spice things up or make it a more complete meal after a workout!
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg or 1 flax egg (2 tbsps of ground flaxseed in some warm water)
1 handful of pure dark chocolate chips
1 tsp organic unpasteurized coconut oil
Dark chocolate chips
Raw almond butter
1. Add 1 egg to a mixing bowl or 2 tbsps of ground flaxseed with warm water. Mix together well with a spoon or fork for 1 minute.
2. Add buckwheat flour, baking soda and almond milk. Mix together until thick mixture is formed. Then add chocolate chips and mix together again.
3. Heat a pan on the stove on medium heat. Add the coconut oil and let it spread evenly across the pan.
4. Add the pancake mixture to the pan. Flip over after about 2 minutes or edges turn brown. Cook for another 2 ish minutes until well cooked.
5. Top with chocolate chips, blueberries, and almond butter. Enjoy!